Classic Potato and Onion Latkes Made Easy
- 2 large Russet potatoes, washed and peeled
- 1 large Vidalia onion, peeled
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Oil for frying, vegetable oil or peanut is best
- Applesauce or Sour Cream for dipping
- Grate your potatoes and onion into a cheese cloth or clean dish towel, I use a manual hand grater (large side). You can use a food processor with grating attachments if you prefer.
- Squeeze and wring out as much of the water/liquid from the grated potato and onion as possible.
- Add mixture to a large bowl, then add eggs, flour, salt, baking powder, and pepper. Mix well until all the flour is absorbed.
- Heat oil (about 1/4 inch or so) in a skillet on stove over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, drop 1 heaping tablespoon size batter into the hot pan. Use a spatula to flatten or if you prefer them a little puffy leave as they are.
- Cook until edges start to turn golden brown 3-4 min, then flip over and continue to cook another 3-4 min until other side is deep golden brown and crispy.
- Transfer latkes to a paper towel lined plate to drain excess oil and salt them while still warm.
- Continue until you have cooked all your latkes. This recipe makes 24-36 depending on size you make them.
- Serve with applesauce and/or sour cream on the side.